Friday, May 23, 2014

1982 Honda C70 Passport Build

Last year I picked up my Dad's old Honda scooter, which he originally got for my nephew. Well, Dad gave it to me. I've thought about what I should do with it, original restoration, just get it running, customize it some way. It's actually in very good condition, though not running right now. Gas tank is shot - full of rust, so first things first, sort that out and get it running.

Starting Point





I've decided I am going to make it into a "bobber". Chop it up a bit, cut the rear fender way short, remove the front, lower the handlebars, customer turn signals and lights, etc.

What I haven't yet decided is to the color. I am going to either do a murdered out - all flat black with minor accents in orange or red OR keep the original Monza Red and add a bare metal patina to it and some black accents.

After I get it running I will either do an 88cc race heat kit or buy a Lifan Honda clone engine in 125cc. The 88 race head should get the bike close to the same ballpark as a Lifan 125cc, about 60mph, which is about the limit I would feel comfortable taking these scooters.

Some of my inspiration:








1 comment:

Boo Long said...

Speed is no problem. It's a big-wheeled fixed-engine motorcycle not a small-wheeled engine-on-suspension scooter. I've done 70+mph (indicated by a friend's car) and handling was rock-steady.