Tuesday, April 1, 2014

40 Year Old Marlin Glenfield Model 60 .22lr Cleaned For The First Time

I recently picked up my Dad's old 1974 Glenfield Model 60 to get my 14yo shooting. This is the first rifle I ever shot, so it was neat taking my son out to learn to shoot with it. As I recalled from previous use (about 20 yrs ago) it did stovepipe a few rounds, but out of shooting about 150 rounds it did fairly well with only a few ejection issues. Not too bad for having shot thousands of rounds in 40 years and never being truly cleaned. 

So I decided to clean it up since beyond the bore and superficial wipe down it had never been cleaned internally. It was pretty nasty in there...I'll let the pics do the talking. 

Quick video of my 14yo starting out on the .22 before moving on to my AR-15.


Before Pics, pretty gritty stuff:




Dissembly was fairly straight forward and easy. Two screws (take down screws) to remove the stock from the action and two screws to be able to remove the action/bolt from the carrier - excuse my ignorance on the terms if they are incorrect. I had no intention of completely dissembling the internals of the action further. 

Cleaning consisted of essentially Rem Oiling everything, cleaning with bore snake, tooth brush, dental picks and shop cloths. 

The Results:







I feel confident now in my ability to quickly and thoroughly clean this rifle next time around. In fact I might to a full refurbish of it next time around. 

No comments: